KATHARINE HANSEN, PH.D.
520 Inchelium Hwy, Kettle Falls, WA 99141
509/738-9009 • 386/871-9490 • email@example.com
I build, guide, and nurture active, exciting online learning communities in which I am one of the learners. I engage them, interact with them, motivate them to interact with the material, and inspire them to learn. I encourage them to reflect on their learning. My goal is to stimulate student interest in continuing to learn for a lifetime about the topics I teach and to model that learning as a lifelong learner myself. I maintain warm relationships with students I’ve had throughout my teaching career, many of whom still come to me for advice. See balance of Teaching Philosophy.
- Well-evaluated instructor with six years of experience teaching in AACSB-accredited business school; completed doctoral coursework in distance/online teaching; experienced with learning-management systems, such as Blackboard and Moodle; familiar with rubrics of Quality Matters.
- Successful builder of online communities and pioneer in using technology to stimulate and facilitate student discussion and interaction; oversaw innovative, large-scale intra-school virtual-teams project.
- Student-centered teacher known for rapid responsiveness to students, support of varied learning styles, and ability to connect course learning with real-world applications.
- Tech-savvy educator, highly experienced in writing for the Internet and designing/developing Web-based content and courses.
Ph.D. in Interdisciplinary Studies with a concentration in Organizational Behavior/Development and a specialization in Organizational Communication (and emphasizing Communication Relating to Organizational Entry), Union Institute & University, Cincinnati, OH, Aug. 2007
DISSERTATION: Tell Me About Yourself: Storytelling that Propels Careers, a qualitative study using narrative inquiry and focus groups to explore the effectiveness of using storytelling in the job search, especially stories that capture how well the job-seeker handled organizational change.
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, 1993; concentration: Communications
Coursework in Humanities, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- Won Kingsbury Award, a full scholarship judged on writing portfolio.
- Appointed to FSU President’s Commission on the Status of Women.
Coursework in Journalism, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Won President’s award for outstanding contribution to the university.
CURRENT ONLINE TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Online Instructor, StraighterLine, Baltimore, MD, March 2013 to present
- Course: Principles of Management
- Learning platform: Moodle
- Developed enhanced course content, including videos and slideshows.
Adjunct Online Faculty, Allied American University, Laguna Hills, CA, April 2013 to present
- Course: Not yet assigned
- Learning platform: iBoard (proprietary).
- Completed two-week orientation class.
PREVIOUS ON-GROUND AND HYBRID TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Full-time Lecturer, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, Aug. 2005 to Dec. 2007 and Aug. 1996 to July 2000
- Courses: Business Communication, Principles of Management, Entrepreneurial Seminar, First-Year Business Seminar (undergraduate)
- Learning Platform: Blackboard
- Taught up to four sections (90+ students) of Business Communication and one section of Entrepreneurial Seminar or Principles of Management during regular semesters.
- For older demographic on satellite campus, developed entirely new case-based course design for business communication.
- Brought new life to Business Communication course by:
- Earning highest teaching evaluations among non-tenure-track instructors;
- Developing new, writing-intensive career-development approach to course;
- Integrating state-of-the-art technology into curriculum;
- Writing two of the textbooks and a coursepack used in the course;
- Initiating innovative virtual-teams project;
- Assisting students with career-development issues.
- Earned top teaching evaluations for teaching Principles of Management, Spring 2007.
Adjunct Instructor, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, Jan. to May 2004
- Course: Prince Entrepreneurial Seminar
- Learning Platform: Blackboard
- Introduced innovative journaling assignment and use of reality-TV show, “The Apprentice,” into course.
- Initiated entrepreneurial storytelling approach.
Accreditation Writer/Editor/Consultant, School of Business Administration, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, 1995 to 1996
- Served as writer/editor to produce vital documentation required for university business-school AACSB accreditation. Contributed to the success of the accreditation effort by:
- Writing two accreditation action plans that won high praise and enabled the business school to proceed from precandidacy to candidacy;
- Developing two detailed accreditation self-evaluation reports that documented how the business school met accreditation standards and which served as basis for accreditation site visits, enabling all eligible programs to be accredited in record time.
Instructor, Elderhostel class, Art and Literature of the Feminine Mystique, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, December 1997 and January 1998
Special Assistant to the Provost/Special Assistant to the Dean for Enrollment Management, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, October 1994 to May 1996
- Targeted specific markets for recruitment and brought university constituencies into recruiting process by:
- Drafting articulation agreements between undergraduate campus and law school;
- Developing publications, direct-mail correspondence, and multimedia presentations;
- Launching unique program for students undecided about their majors;
- Spearheading unprecedented effort to encourage alumni, faculty, staff, deans, parent, and church constituencies, to participate in recruiting process;
- Serving as liaison among Admissions Office, deans, faculty, staff, and alumni;
- Participating actively on Enrollment Management Committee;
- Conducting focus groups and market studies of various target markets and producing publications directed at recruiting these groups;
- Organizing staff, students, faculty, and alumni in marketing efforts to prospective students.
COURSES DEVELOPED AND TAUGHT
- Seminar for First-Year Business Students, Stetson University, Fall 2007
- Principles of Management, Spring 2007
- Entrepreneurial Seminar, various semesters 2004 to 2006
- Business Communication, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, 1996 to 2007
TEACHING INTERESTS ~ See also Course Qualifications
- Organizational Behavior/Theory
- Principles of Management
- Virtual Teams
- Organizational Change
- Organizational Storytelling/Business Narrative
- Study Skills and College Writing
- Organizational | Managerial | Business Communication
- Human Resources
- Gender Issues in Organizations
- Career Management
ADVISING/MENTORING GRADUATE STUDENTS
- Served as subject-matter expert for Joseph Palmisano, master’s project: “Never Too Old for Stories: A Vocational Assessment eTool,” Wayne State University, College of Education, Detroit, MI, Sept. 2011 to Feb. 2012.
- Functioned as Peer Member, Doctoral Committee of Anne Bedwinek, Union Institute & University, Cincinnati, OH, 2004 to 2007
ACADEMIC HONORS AND AWARDS
- Accepted into Doctoral Institute, Organizational Behavior Teaching Society, 2007 and 2006; attended 2007
- Graduate College Scholarship, Union Institute and University, 2006-2007; 2005-2006
- M.K. and Kamala Mitra Scholarship, 2005-2007, based on academic excellence and measurable impact on a given community/society
- Student commencement speaker, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, 1993
- Phi Beta Kappa, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, 1994
- Daniel J. Ransohoff Scholarship for academic focus in the social sciences, 2006-2007
- Kingsbury Award, a full scholarship judged on writing portfolio, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, 1992
- President’s award for outstanding contribution to University of Florida, 1983
- Hansen, Katharine, Oliphant, Gary; Oliphant, Becky; and Hansen, Randall S. (2009, Sept.). Best Practices in Preparing Students for Mock Interviews. Business Communication Quarterly.
- Oliphant, Gary; Hansen, Katharine, and Oliphant, Becky. (2008, Fall). Predictive Validity of a Behavioral Interview Technique. Marketing Management Journal, 18(2), 94-106.
- Oliphant, Gary; Hansen, Katharine, and Oliphant, Becky. (2008). A Review of a Telephone Administered Behavior-Based Interview Technique. Special Topics in Business Communication Quarterly. 71; 383.
- Hansen, Katharine. (2007, Sept.). Propelling careers through telling stories about change. Business Communication Quarterly, 70(2), 23-26.
- Hansen, Randall S. and Katharine Hansen. (2007, July). The Student Experience in Speed Teaming: A New Approach to Team Formation. Journal of College Teaching & Learning, 4(7), 69-78.
- Hansen, Katharine. (2007, Jan./Feb.) Intertextuality of Organization and Career in Constructing the “Reality” of Change, Tamara, Journal of Critical Postmodern Organization Science, 5(4), 146-157.
- Hansen, Randall S. and Katharine Hansen. (Spring 1995). Incorporating Writing across the Curriculum into an Introductory Marketing Course, Journal of Marketing Education.
Peer-reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Hansen, Katharine. (2007). Parallel Problems in Virtual vs. Face-to-Face Teams: Easing Student Fears of Collaborating Virtually. Proceedings of the 2007 Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference, Malibu, CA.
- Hansen, Katharine (May 5, 2007). Tell Me About Yourself: Storytelling that Propels Careers. Proceedings of the 5th Annual International Conference: Storytelling in Business and Organizations. Golden Fleece Group, Chevy Chase, MD.
- Hansen, Katharine and Hansen, Randall S. (2007). The Student Experience in Speed Teaming: A New Approach to Team Formation, Proceedings of the 2007 College Teaching & Learning Conference/Applied Business Research Conference, Waikiki, HI.
- Hansen, Katharine. (May 2006). Virtual Teams: A Semester-long, Intra-school Exercise. Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Meeting of the Eastern Academy of Management, Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Hansen, Katharine and Randall S. Hansen. (April 2006). Using a Career Portfolio to Sustain a Competitive Edge: An Online Focus Group Study Using an Asynchronous Discussion Board. Proceedings of the Society for Advancement of Management International Business Conference, Orlando, FL, p. 161-171.
- Hansen, Randall S. and Katharine Hansen. (March 2006). Employment Interview Preparation: Assessing the Writing-to-Learn Approach. Developments in Business Simulation and Experiential Learning. Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning (ABSEL), San Francisco, CA.
- Hansen, Katharine & Hansen, Randall S. (2006). Using an Asynchronous Discussion Board for Online Focus Groups: A Protocol and Lessons Learned. Proceedings of the 2006 Applied Business Research Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Hansen, Katharine (March 2005). Application of Traditional and Online Journaling as Pedagogy and Means for Assessing Learning in an Entrepreneurial Seminar. Developments in Business Simulation and Experiential Learning. Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning (ABSEL), Orlando, FL.
- Hansen, Katharine and Hansen, Randall S. (Jan. 2005). Employment Interview Preparation: A Writing-to-Learn Approach. Proceedings of the 2005 Applied Business Research Conference and The 2005 College Teaching and Learning Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Hansen, Randall S., K.S. Hansen, and S.A. Taylor. (1991). The Ethical Implications of Television Advertising to Young Children, 1991 Southern Marketing Association Annual Conference Proceedings.
- Hansen, Katharine (April 11, 2011). The Power of Storytelling in Job Search and Career. MBA Career Services for Working Professionals Alliance (MBA CSWP), University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- Hansen, Katharine (May 5, 2007). Tell Me About Yourself: Storytelling that Propels Careers. Golden Fleece Group, Chevy Chase, MD.
- Hansen, Katharine and Hansen, Randall S. (2007). The Student Experience in Speed Teaming: A New Approach to Team Formation, 2007 College Teaching & Learning Conference/Applied Business Research Conference, Waikiki, HI.
- Hansen, Randall S. and Katharine Hansen. (March 2006). Employment Interview Preparation: Assessing the Writing-to-Learn Approach. Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning (ABSEL), San Francisco, CA.
- Hansen, Katharine and Hansen, Randall S. (2006). Using an Asynchronous Discussion Board for Online Focus Groups: A Protocol and Lessons Learned. 2006 Applied Business Research Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Hansen, Katharine (March 2005). Application of Traditional and Online Journaling as Pedagogy and Means for Assessing Learning in an Entrepreneurial Seminar. Developments in Business Simulation and Experiential Learning. Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning (ABSEL). Orlando, FL.
- Hansen, Katharine and Hansen, Randall S. (Jan. 2005). Employment Interview Preparation: A Writing-to-Learn Approach. 2005 Applied Business Research Conference and The 2005 College Teaching and Learning Conference, Orlando, FL.
Books and Chapters in Books
- Hansen, Katharine (2012). You Are More Accomplished Than You Think: How to Brainstorm Your Achievements for Career and Life Success, Kettle Falls, WA: Quintessential Careers Press.
- Hansen, Katharine (2012). “Resume, Cover Letter, and Interview Strategies for Older Workers,” in The Single Woman’s Guide to Retirement, by Jan Cullinane, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Katharine Hansen (2010). “Splitting your Twitter accounts into personal and professional,” in The Twitter Job Search Guide: Find a Job and Advance Your Career in Just 15 Minutes a Day, by Susan Britton Whitcomb, Chandlee Bryan, and Deb Dib, Indianapolis, IN: JIST Works.
- Hansen, Katharine (2009). Top Notch Executive Interviews: How to Strategically Deal With Recruiters, Search Firms, Boards of Directors, Panel, Presentations, Pre-Interviews, and Other High Stress Situations, Franklin Lakes, NJ: Career Press.
- Hansen, Katharine (2009). Tell Me About Yourself: Storytelling to Get Jobs and Propel Your Career, Indianapolis, IN: JIST Publishing.
- Hansen, Katharine. (2008). Top Notch Executive Resumes: Creating Flawless Resumes for Managers, Executives, and CEOs. Franklin Lakes, NJ: Career Press.
- Hansen, Katharine. (2008). A Foot in the Door: Networking Your Way into the Hidden Job Market, second edition. Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.
- Hansen, Katharine. (2008, May). “Job Strategies for Teens,” in Quest 2, Student’s Book, by Cynthia Beyea, Paul Bougie, and Claire Maria Ford, Montreal, Quebec: Les Editions de la Cheneliere.
- Hansen, Katharine. (2006). “FAQs about Thank You Letters.” in Communications 12. Module 3: Workplace Communication that Works. Victoria, BC, Canada: Open School BC, pp. 92-94.
- Hansen, Katharine. Words to Get Hired By: The Jobseeker’s Quintessential Lexicon of Powerful Words and Phrases for Resumes and Cover Letters, (2005), DeLand, Florida: Quintessential Careers Press.
- Hansen, Katharine. (2005). “So, what have you achieved? Tell me about it, otherwise how will I know?” In Michael, D. (2005), Hire me, fire me …, Sydney, Australia: Wondu Holdings.
- Hansen, Katharine. (2004), “10 Powerful Career Strategies for Women” in Women in Business, V. V. Ramani, (ed.), Hyderabad, India: ICFAI Books, pp. 71-79.
- Hansen, Katharine and Randall S. Hansen. (2003), “The Basics of a Dynamic Cover Letter” in Business Writing, Pallavi Laisram, (ed.), Hyderabad, India: ICFAI Books, pp. 105-120.
- Hansen, Katharine. “Ace the Job Interview,” in GirlWise by Julia DeVillers, (2002), Roseville, CA: Prima Publishing, pp. 108-112.
- Hansen, Katharine. “What Good is a College Education Anyway?” in Teen Decisions: Education and College, (Fall 2002), Farmington Hills, MI: Gale Group.
- Hansen, Katharine. “Informational Interviewing for College Students” in The Last Job Search Guide You’ll Ever Need, (2002), CollegeRecruiter.com (eds.), Minneapolis, MN: CollegeRecruiter.com, pp. 263-266.
- Hansen, Katharine and Randall S. Hansen. Dynamic Cover Letters, 3rd edition (2001), Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.
- Hansen, Katharine. A Foot in the Door: Networking Your Way into the Hidden Job Market, (2000), Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.
- Hansen, Katharine. Dynamic Cover Letters for New Graduates, (1998), Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.
- Hansen, Randall S. and Katharine Hansen. Write Your Way to a Higher GPA, (1997), Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.
- Hansen, Katharine and Randall Hansen. Dynamic Cover Letters, 2nd ed. (1995), Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.
- “Early Identification and Education of Gifted Children,” (1990), (with Waln Brown), booklet, Huntington, NY: William Gladden Foundation.
- Hansen, Katharine with Randall S. Hansen. Dynamic Cover Letters, (1990), Berkeley, CA: Ten-Speed Press.
Academic Book Reviews
- Hansen, Katharine (in press). Book review of Kramer, Eric, (2011). Active Interviewing: Branding, Selling, and Presenting Yourself to Win Your Next Job. Independence, KY: Course Technology PTR. In Career Planning & Adult Development Journal (invited submission).
- Hansen, Katharine (2011, Fall). Book review of Beaudine, Bob, (2009). The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know. New York: Center Street. In Career Planning & Adult Development Journal (invited submission).
- Hansen, Katharine. Textbook review of Management Communication, by James O’Rourke, 4th edition. Review invited by Prentice-Hall. July 26, 2010.
- Hansen, Katharine. Chapter review of Telecommuting chapter of The Handbook of Technology Management (3-volume set), Hossein Bidgoli, editor, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Feb. 15, 2008.
- Hansen, Katharine (2007-2008, Winter). Book review of Morem, Susan (2007). How to Get a Job and Keep It. New York: Ferguson. In Career Planning & Adult Development Journal (invited submission).
- Hansen, Katharine. Textbook review of Organizational Communication: Approaches and Processes, by Katherine Miller, 4th edition. Review invited by Wadsworth/Thomson Higher Education, Feb. 15, 2007.
- Hansen, Katharine (2006-2007, Winter). Book review of Wall, J. E. (2006). Job Seeker’s Online Goldmine: A step-by-step guidebook to government and no-cost Web tools. Indianapolis, IN: JIST. In Career Planning & Adult Development Journal (invited submission), 48-50.
NON-ACADEMIC INTELLECTUAL CONTRIBUTIONS
- Author of more than 100 Web-based articles on career development, higher education, and entrepreneurial topics. Click here for list.
- Author of 25+ book reviews on career development, higher education, and entrepreneurial topics. Click here for list.
- Quoted, interviewed, and reviewed in dozens of books reviews, articles, and presentations in various media. Details and samples available upon request.
- Certified with several career-practitioner credentials.
- Active as officer in Toastmasters International organization at club and district levels; hold several communication and leadership education awards.
- Applied/Organizational Storytelling
- Virtual Teams
- Organizational Entry/Career Development
- Communication of Organizational Change
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Women’s Styles of Communication
- Women in Leadership and Entrepreneurship
Associate Publisher and Creative Director, Quintessential Careers Web site, and Editor, QuintZine, an online newsletter for jobseekers, DeLand, FL, January 2000 to present
- Provide career-development content for Quintessential Careers Web site, edit QuintZine newsletter, and maintain several blogs.
Presenter, Quintessential Careers, March 2000 to present
- Deliver multiple presentations on career-related topics at high schools, colleges, and universities (Click for examples.)
- Co-presented, “Job Search 101” to re-entry women, Daytona State College, Daytona Beach, FL, April 10, 2009
- Presented on networking, Syracuse University, March 19, 2009
- Co-presented on “Job Search 101,” Missouri Western State University, Sept. 15, 2008
Owner/Chief Writer, Quintessential Resumes and Cover Letters, DeLand, FL, May 2000 to Dec. 2005
- Owned and served as primary writer for online resume and cover-letter service. Still own business but outsource resume-writing.
Writer, Office of Marketing and Communications, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, Sept. 1999 to July 2000
Coordinator for Gallery and Art Department Services, Art Department, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, Aug. 1993 to Oct. 1994
- Successfully promoted a university art gallery and the university itself using innovative marketing techniques. Contributed to gallery’s/university’s community-relations success.
Speechwriter/Deputy Press Secretary, Florida Department of Education, Tallahassee, FL, 1989 to 1992
- Played key role on communications team of state Commissioner of Education, a member of the now-defunct state Board of Regents, who oversaw the State University System of Florida. Advanced Commissioner’s agenda by:
- Writing dynamic, well-received, award-winning speeches given by Commissioner to numerous, varied public constituencies;
- Orchestrating press conferences, arranging press coverage, and writing press statements;
- Achieving excellent track record in writing and placing press releases;
- Writing and editing articles and publications to promote Commissioner’s initiatives, including a quarterly newsletter on Florida’s public higher-education system.
FREELANCING and CONSULTING
Consultant/Editor, Policies and Procedures manual, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, May 1998 to Feb. 2001
Speechwriter for President of National Association of Social Workers and pro bono statewide
Coordinator of Public Relations for American Association of University Women/Florida, 1990 to 1995
Freelance writer/editor, various clients; author, 1990 to present.
- Conceptualized innovative editorial format for established 100-page annual magazine for new college students. Edited team-building book for community-college audience. Wrote for alumni magazine and other collegiate publications. Contributed to these publications’ success by:
- Conceiving, assigning, and editing a story that later won a national writing competition;
- Conceptualizing and planning editorial formula and developing story ideas.
Clients have included:
- Various career-related Web sites
- Stetson University
- Daytona Beach News Journal
- Rutgers University News Service
- Cobb Cole & Bell (law firm)
- Institute for Educational Leadership
- William Gladden Foundation
- Florida Council on Aging
- Betty Castor Re-election campaign
- Florida Department of Education, Office of Business/Citizen Partnerships
- Business and Education Coalition for Technology and Change
- American Association of Community Colleges
- International Guild of Professional Consultants
- Member, Volusia County Commission on the Status of Women, 1995 to 1999
- Reviewer, Organization Management Journal, 2012
- Reviewer, Organization: The Critical Journal of Organization, Theory and Society, 2010
- Reviewer, American Communication Journal, American Communication Association, 2008 to present
- Reviewer, Organizational Behavior Division, Academy of Management Annual Meetings, 2008 to present
- Reviewer, OBTS: Teaching Society for Management Educators, Annual Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference, 2008 to present
- Member, Board of Directors, American Communication Association (ACA), 2005 to 2008
- Page Manager, Communication Education Technologies Web page, ACA
- Advisory Board Member, Certified Electronic Career Coach Program, January 2002 to 2004
UNIVERSITY SERVICE and PHILANTHROPY
- Served as member of Stetson University Artist and Lecturers Committee
- Functioned as member of Stetson University School of Business Administration Student Admissions Committee
- Contributed as Judge, Undergraduate Scholarship Day, Stetson University, 2003 and 2004
- Served as President, Stetson University Friends of Art, 1994 to 1997
- Developed, implemented, and facilitated The Real World Panel, in which recent alumni return to campus to discuss their career and life experiences in the “real world,” Stetson University, DeLand, FL.
- Annually donate purchase award, Elizabeth Knight Sumner Purchase Award, to enable Stetson University to buy an outstanding piece of artwork by a senior student for its permanent collection.
- Annually donate award given at Stetson University’s annual juried student art exhibition to non-art major.
- Annually donated marketing-promotions award, William Dayton Sumner Marketing Promotions Award.
- Co-sponsored purchase award, Quintessential Art of Business Award, chosen from Stetson University’s annual juried student art exhibition to buy an outstanding piece of student artwork to reside in the university’s newly renovated business-school building.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT and TRAINING
- Appreciative Inquiry/Motivational Interviewing Workshop, WOIS/The Career Information System and the Center for Learning Connections, Oct. 27, 2012, 6 CEUs.
- Dependable Strengths Articulation Process Training, Center for Dependable Strengths, Seattle, WA, Oct. 25-29, 2010, 35 CEUs.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS [PAST and CURRENT]
- Academy of Management
- Organizational Behavior Teaching Society
- ABSEL: Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning
- American Communication Association
- Career Planning and Adult Development Network
- Society for Advancement of Management
- Phi Beta Kappa Society